Competitive Public Forum Camps
The Competitive Public Forum Camp focuses on developing and improving on the essential skills that differentiate successful debaters. This program will teach students how to consistently break at national tournaments and to have a shot at winning national championships. It is taught by top coaches and competitors from across the world of debate that have seen how debate events transform as they grow and are excited by the evolution of Public Forum debate.
Why Competitive Debaters attend Capitol over other Camps:
- Work with experienced coaches that consistently teach champion debaters. Gain exposure to decades of experience and insights on winning strategies. Don’t settle for instruction by other teenagers with no educational training or teaching experience.
- Learn the secrets to persuading any judge. We focus on cutting edge persuasive approaches and messaging techniques that work time and time again.
- Acquire advanced techniques and strategies to win any debate. Gain long term success, not just September/October topic preparation.
- Guaranteed progression to the next level. Continuous assessment and feedback ensures you grow as a debater and leave set up for success with core skills.
- All we do is win. In the past three years, Capitol Debate attendees have won almost every Public Forum National Championship including the Tournament of Champions, NSDA, NCDA and finalist in NCFL Nationals.
Top Performing Staff
Instructional Lead for Public Forum Camps
Academy in Anaheim, California. In only his 3rd year coaching at Fairmont, Doug has lead Fairmont Preparatory Academy in the last 2 years to champions at Fullerton, finals at the Golden Desert Invitational, semifinals at Berkeley Debate Tournament, and quarterfinals at the Blake Tournament, Barkley Forum at Emory University, Arizona State and Apple Valley Tournament. Doug’s team received 8 bids to the Tournament of Champions this year. Prior to coaching at Fairmont, Doug coached Ransom Everglade in Coconut Grove, Florida. As a coach, his Public Forum teams have reached elimination rounds at the Tournament of Champions, the Catholic Forensic League national tournament, and the National Forensic League national tournament. With back-to-back wins at the Missouri state championships in 2010 and 2011, Doug has also helped his team to qualify for the TOC and National Forensic League national tournament for the past 4 years. His personal debate experiences have helped him to coach students through 9 individual state championships and he continues to be a mentor for high-school students across the nation.
PUBLIC FORUM CIRCUIT INSTRUCTORS
Milburn High School, NJ
Mission San Jose High School, CA
Mission San Jose High School, CA
Miramonte High School, CA
Lake Highland Preparatory School, FL
Quarry Lane School, CA
Boca Raton Community High School, FL
History of Producing Champion Debaters
- 2016 Harvard Champion
- 2016 University of Pennsylvania Champion
- 2016 Emory Finalist
- 2015 NDCA National Champion
- 2015 TOC Finalist
- 2015 NCFL Championship Finalist
- 2014 NFL National Championship Finalist
- 2013 NFL National Champion
- 2013 NDCA National Champion
- 2013 TOC National Champion
With over 15 years of experience running debate camps, the list of amazing results is nearly endless!
Our educational approach has been fined tuned over years of experience coaching and teaching champion debaters. Our curriculum combines great educational content with proven teaching methods to help you successfully incorporate new skills and knowledge into your debating and academics. We prioritize your long-term debate and life success rather than merely preparing you for the next topic.
Be Challenged By Your Peers
We determine lab groups by experience level. If you are nationally ranked, we have an advanced lab that will set you up to win national championships. If you have one or two years of experience, we have competitive classes that will help bring you to the next level.
The Most Advanced Focus on Persuasion Anywhere
From classical theories to contemporary science, we will teach you every element of human persuasion and how to use them to your advantage to win debates and be successful. We will teach you how to analyze your audiences and identify the most direct routes to win them over consistently.
Delivered By Expert Staff
All of our advanced programs are taught by national championship caliber debate coaches. Your debate success is important to us so we never substitute experienced teachers with teenagers and college students.
Specific areas we push campers to gain superior proficiency include:
- Impact Calculus
- Evidence Comparison
- Time Allocation
- Word Economy
- Ethos and Confidence
- Crossfire Strategy
- Offensive Rebuttals
- Final Focus Gameplan
Practice & Application
We challenge students to constantly apply the material they learn throughout camp. Every lecture is accompanied by a practicum where students execute on what they just learned. Lab time is focused on practicing techniques, not just research every day. Between execution drills and practice rounds, every student speaks every day.
Get Lots of Debates
Between scheduled practice debates and the camp tournament, you will have at least ten full debate rounds with detailed, extensive post round feedback provided by experienced coaches that know how to fine tune your approach. Every practice debate comes with the opportunity to do multiple speech redos. We make sure you get it right.
Track Your Progression
With Live Ballots, your practice results and feedback follow you throughout camp like a journal of your progress. This helps you identify areas of strength and weakness to apply specific drills and exercises so that you experience continuous improvement on a daily basis.
You can find a full working schedule for the camp here
- 7:30 a.m. – Overnight Campersrise and shine! We offer an expansive breakfast in the campus dining hall, which includes eggs, pancakes, orange juice, cereal, waffles, yogurt and fruit.
- 8:45 a.m. – Morning Announcementsand review of activities for the day.
- 9:00 a.m. – Morning Lectureon areas such as topic analysis, crossfire, rebuttal speeches, final focus and summary speeches.
- 10:30 a.m. – Practicum Small group exercises that apply the lesson plans including crossfire drills, refutation practice, final focus and summary speech redos, flowing exercises, and mini-debates.
- 11:00 a.m. – Elective Coursecan be on topic analysis, international relations theory, economics, feminism, critical theory, advanced brief writing, and other pertinent topics to the resolution.
- 12:00 p.m. – Lunchin campus dining hall.
- 1:00 p.m. – Lab timeHands-on instruction in preparing for debates. Individualized instruction includes assistance in researching, writing, structuring and organizing pro and con cases. Instructors guide students in preparing rebuttal briefs for upcoming debates.
- 3:00 p.m. – Practice DebatesStudents debate almost every day and receive full critiques from national champion coaches.
- 5:00 p.m. – DinnerBuffet dinner for students.
- 6:30 p.m. – Office Hours
Student’s will be able to go back in the classroom to work on their assignments or skills they may need additional assistance with. It’s a great opportunity for students to work individually with the camp staff.
- 7:00 pm. – ElectivesStudents get to choose specifics topics to learn about in greater depth or work with a coach of their choice.
- 8:00 p.m. – Free Time & Activitiesin dorm, ice cream socials, movies, and games.
- 10:00 p.m. – Room check and curfew.
2018 Competitive Circuit Locations
Students at our debate camps stay in Loyola’s dormitories and have access to extensive academic and athletic resources. Loyola’s beautiful campus sets on 79 acres in a northern Baltimore suburb. Debate students live in apartment-style dorms, dubbed “palaces” by The Princeton Review, with private bathrooms, living areas, dining rooms, and kitchens.
Learn More – Baltimore
Capitol Debate is proud to offer it’s renowned summer program at Babson College by popular demand. Students at Capitol Debate’s Babson College Debate Camp will be housed in Mandel Hall, the newest and nicest residential building on Babson’s campus.
Learn More – Boston
2018 Competitive Locations
Located in Central Texas on the eastern edge of the American Southwest, Austin is the capital of the state of Texas. The city dates back to the 1830s, when the first settlers arrived in the area. The City is named for Stephen F. Austin, the “Father of Texas.” Austin is an incredible place to live, learn, and play, and Capitol Debate campers will love the opportunity they have to study in this wonderful city.
Learn More – Austin, TX
Join Capitol Debate near “the city that never sleeps” during our 2017 summer camp program! We’re pleased to bring our nationally recognized debate program to Iona College, located in the vibrant college town of New Rochelle, N.Y., just 20 miles from midtown Manhattan.
Learn More – Iona, NY
Founded in 1950, Marymount is a comprehensive University that emphasizes intellectual curiosity, service to others, and a global perspective. Like Capitol Debate, a Marymount education promotes career preparation, and provides opportunities for personal and professional growth. Capitol Debate campers will enjoy studying near our nation’s capitol in a student‐centered learning community that values diversity and focuses on the intellectual, ethical development of each camper.
Learn More – Marymount
By popular demand, Capitol Debate embarks on the University of Houston for the Summer of 2015 from June 7 to June 19. Located in the nation’s fourth-largest city and the energy capital of the world. Founded in 1927, the University of Houston is the leading public research university in the vibrant international city of Houston.
Learn More – Houston
The University of Central Florida, founded in 1963, is the second-largest university in the nation. Capitol Debate campers will thoroughly enjoy this 1,415 acre campus. Their instruction in debate and the time they will spend in beautiful Orlando, Florida will be unmatched.
Learn More – UCF
Our west coast students will study and live at the University of San Diego. The campus is situated five miles inland, on the edge of a canyon, a short drive from La Jolla, Mission Beach, Ocean Beach, and Point Loma. It has been ranked among the Princeton Review’s Top 50 Most Beautiful College Campuses. The weather is absolutely perfect during the summer!
Learn More – San Diego
Not yet ready to sign up?
We know when it comes to your sending your loved ones to camp you want to make sure they are safe and cared for. Here at Capitol Debate we take pride in providing a safe, fun & educational environment that you can feel great about and that your children will love. We would love to answer any questions or concerns that you may have.
Camp cancellation credit timetable:
- After May 1 | 85% credit
- 30 - 22 days before start date | 70% credit
- 21 - 8 days before start date | 60% credit
- 7 - 4 days before start date | 50% credit
- 3 - 1 day before start date | 25% credit
- No Show | 0 credit
Other programs cancellation credit timetable:
- Two weeks before program start | 100% credit
- Within two weeks before program start | 50% credit
- Day of or No Show | 0% credit
For more information about Capitol Debate’s policies, terms and conditions of registration, please see our Terms, Policies, and Conditions page.