In the fast-paced business world, future entrepreneurs are challenged more than ever to communicate effectively. Whether it is selling a product, making presentations to prospective clients, pitching ideas to their board or seeking business investors, our future entrepreneurs need to present themselves in a positive light.
Focusing on empowering tomorrow’s business leaders, the Capitol Debate Business Communication program is a distinct and innovative, two-week camp aimed at providing students the unique opportunity to improve their presentation skills and polish their delivery. Our two-week program will provide students with the proper mindset, skillset, toolset and critical communication skills needed for success in today’s busy business world.
To this end, we offer a wide range of structured experiences designed to: build trust, facilitate effective communication; promote wellness, self-respect, tolerance, and personal insight. Our Youth Leadership Program is filled with distinctive experiences, hands-on exercises, interactive lectures and workshops designed to bring these concepts to life. Our students learn to work together to develop and inspire effective change in their own lives, their communities and the lives of those around them.
Rest assured that students will get top-notch instruction with the Capitol Debate Guarantee:
- Low faculty to student ratio – Capitol Debate firmly believes in individualized instruction, which can only happen with small class sizes.
- Personalized Instruction – Capitol Debate instructors give students hands-on instruction with writing, speaking and organizing. After each presentation, instructors give students lengthy feedback to help them improve their skills.
- Senior faculty oversee all classes – Unlike other academic camps, Capitol Debate’s instructors have an average of 15 to 30 years of pedagogical experience in the classroom.
- Practice, Practice, Practice – We make sure students are not just sitting in lectures, but instead are getting up and speaking every day and applying the lessons learned in a small group setting.
The Capitol Debate Business Communication Program will introduce campers to techniques specifically designed to identify, nurture and strengthen the entrepreneur which reside within them. We will share the most current and effective business communication skills being used today and prepare them for the real-world work and life environments in which they will soon find themselves.
Our goal is to educate, arm and develop business leaders to become responsible citizens and contributing members of their communities and to foster relationships among students from different ethnic, religious, and national backgrounds.
- Developing a Sales Pitch
- Producing Business PowerPoint Presentations
- Problem solving skills
- Teamwork and team building skills
- Confidence building techniques
- Public Speaking skills
- Goal setting
- Decision making skills
- Dealing with conflict
- Stimulate idea development
- Self expression
Practice & Applications
TThe most effective way to implement new ideas, concepts and strategies into a student’s life is to put them into practice immediately. We realize that our campers are being lectured during the entire school year. Our goal is for campers to have a transformational experience and The Capitol Debate Business Communication Camp accomplishes this through exciting, hands-on exercises, fun team-building exercises and distinct, interactive experiences designed to promote growth and enjoyment. Afterall, it is summer camp, not summer school.
Here is a sample daily schedule for our overnight and commuter camps:
- 7:30 a.m. – Overnight Campersrise and shine! We offer an expansive breakfast in the campus dining hall, which includes eggs, pancakes, orange juice, cereal, waffles, yogurt and fruit.
- 8:30 a.m. – Commuters arriveand sign in at designated location.
- 8:45 a.m. – Morning Announcementsand review of activities for the day.
- 9:00 a.m. – Skill lessons
(ex: Defining Business Communication)Students brainstorm for a list of who they believe are leaders. They then analyze and discuss what are the common characteristics amongst them.
- 10:00 a.m. – Small group exercises
(ex: self identification)students identify their entrepreneurial leaders amongst their peers. This activity is followed by identifying why they believe such students to be leaders and what characteristics they appear to have in common.
- 11:00 a.m. – Elective Course
- 12:00 p.m. – Lunchin campus dining hall for overnight students and commuters.
- 1:00 p.m. – Lab timeHands-on instruction in goal setting, prioritizing and identifying values.
- 4:00 p.m. – Free timeJoin a game of basketball, swim, shoot pool, play foosball, soccer, video games, frisbee or watch TV on the big screen!
- 5:00 p.m. – DinnerBuffet dinner for overnight students and commuters.
- 6:00 p.m. – Guest lecturer
- 7:00 p.m. – Commuters Depart
- 8:00 p.m. – Activitiesin dorm, ice cream socials, movies, and games.
- 10:00 p.m. – Room check and curfew.
The University of Michigan is a top tier Public University located in Ann Arbor. It is ranked #27 overall and #4 among Public Universities in the United States by U.S. News and World Report. Our two-week program will provide students with the proper mindset, skillset, toolset and critical communication skills needed for success in today’s busy business world.
Register Now – Michigan U.
Not yet ready to sign up?
We know when it comes to your sending your loved ones to camp you want to make sure they are safe and cared for. Here at Capitol Debate we take pride in providing a safe, fun & educational environment that you can feel great about and that your children will love. We would love to answer any questions or concerns that you may have.
Camp cancellation credit timetable:
- After May 1 | 85% credit
- 30 - 22 days before start date | 70% credit
- 21 - 8 days before start date | 60% credit
- 7 - 4 days before start date | 50% credit
- 3 - 1 day before start date | 25% credit
- No Show | 0 credit
Other programs cancellation credit timetable:
- Two weeks before program start | 100% credit
- Within two weeks before program start | 50% credit
- Day of or No Show | 0% credit
For more information about Capitol Debate’s policies, terms and conditions of registration, please see our Terms, Policies, and Conditions page.