A Boston Academic Debate Group for Middle School & High School Students
Rising 6th - Seniors
BOSTON CLUB DEBATE TEAM
The Boston Club Debate Team is part of Capitol Debate’s prestigious middle and high school debate programs. Admission is open to all students, grades 6 – 12 that have completed one of our Summer Debate Camps and/or Online Introduction to Debate. We offer every student a chance to debate. You don’t need a middle school debate or high school debate team in Boston. You don’t need a teacher who is up to speed on public forum debate. You don’t have to be in any specific location. If you want to apply what you learned at debate camp in an actual debate competition, then signing up for the Boston Club Debate Team is the perfect next step.
During the Fall semester, students will meet with their debate coach online every Wednesday evening to prepare with other teammates for upcoming debate competitions. In the Boston area, the Boston Club Debate League will host 2 debate competitions in the fall. The first one will take place on Saturday October 29, 2016 and the second one will take place on December 10, 2016. The competitions will run from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Location in the Boston Metropolitan Area. Students will have the opportunity to meet with their debate coach in person at the debate competitions. We have classes every week, covering a wide range of debate topics. Our topics include:
- Structuring Arguments
- Finding Evidence
- Argument Development
- Debating on Your Computer
- Advanced Research
- Useful Blogs
- Evidence Cutting
- Strategies for Upcoming Tournaments
- What Tournaments to Attend
- Topic Analysis
- Case Writing Sessions
- Block Writing Sessions
- Joint Research Sessions
- Crossfire Strategies
- End Game Strategies for Topics
- How to Select Winning Arguments
- How to Structure Speeches
We never let you learn without practicing. Each week, students work with leading coaches to review feedback on their cases. The coaches hold strategy sessions. They listen as students redo speeches from the past week, critique the speeches, and give instruction. They lead online practice debates, show students how to evaluate evidence, give speaking drills, and hold Q&A sessions. We provide everything you need to become a debater, with or without a school team.
The Benefits of Live Online Interactive Debate Training for Boston Debate Team
Learning has changed over the years and we have consistently found that we can better teach students online. We tried live training classes in every city. Here is what we learned. First, we were limited by the local talent in the area. Second, we were limited by the technology in the schools. We typically had no internet coverage and/or lacked projectors to use in our lesson plans. Finally, finding a location in a city that can accommodate all students at once was impossible. So we tried live interactive debate training for preparing our students across the nation for middle school nationals. Here is what we discovered:
- Students Loved It – the students were in their element navigating through their computer at home. Whether it is researching a new case or collaboratively writing a case, students had instant access to information.
- We Can Accomplish So Much More With the Students – we can have the students research their cases online, we can have the students share their screens with other students so that we can collaboratively develop our strategies, and we can easily work on the same case at the same time together via Google Documents.
- Parents Loved It – no more commuting to another activity for their kids. No more sitting in traffic. No more lost time on getting the kids ready for school the next day.
- Allows us to Bring a Wider Variety of Experts to the Classroom – we are no longer limited by the local talent in the area. Instead, classes can be taught by leading debate coaches from any city in the United States!
- The Proof is in the Pudding – we have successfully trained 40 students from Taiwan to debate at the Middle School Nationals and we successfully trained several students into the top ten speakers in the nation at Middle School Nationals and we never met them until they arrived!
We Make Learning Easy for All
It is as simple as having a computer or laptop with internet coverage, a webcam, and microphone. You will have a login id to enter into the sessions every week. No worries if you miss class – all classes are taped and stored online! We have tons of resources for your learning in our online training center. Training will occur every Wednesday evening and classes ranging from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Students need to keep those times open until we assign a teacher and time slot.
We’ll teach you to be more than an effective debater… we’ll teach you to become a thinker, a speaker, a leader, and a team player. You’ll learn to more effectively analyze problems, research solutions, and communicate your findings clearly, concisely, and convincingly. Joining a debate team isn’t all about work. You’ll have a lot of fun. Your teammates will become friends. You will travel together, regionally and nationally, you will team up, and you will debate against some of the finest middle school and high school debate teams in the country. Now is your chance to build connections and skills that will aid you as you advance academically and professionally. Affiliation with a middle school or high school debate team will help you get college scholarships. Schools are looking for the skills we teach. Employers are as well. Now is the time to learn them!
How Do I Get Involved?
Joining is easy. Register online. The cost is $1,000 per semester. This price pays for your training, your materials, and all evidence you’ll need in your debates. The Boston Club Debate Team is open to rising 6th graders through high school seniors. If you are interested you can request more information online, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call our main office at 855.933.2283.
Camp cancellation credit timetable:
- After May 1 | 85% credit
- 30 - 22 days before start date | 70% credit
- 21 - 8 days before start date | 60% credit
- 7 - 4 days before start date | 50% credit
- 3 - 1 day before start date | 25% credit
- No Show | 0 credit
Other programs cancellation credit timetable:
- Two weeks before program start | 100% credit
- Within two weeks before program start | 50% credit
- Day of or No Show | 0% credit
For more information about Capitol Debate’s policies, terms and conditions of registration, please see our Terms, Policies, and Conditions page.