Introduction to Debate Online Courses
6th to 12th Graders
We offer every student a chance to learn debate. Capitol Debate has some of the leading educators in debate in the United States. Each week students meet online, live, via webcam, with a real instructor who will interact and teach the students. We keep each class limited to 12 students. Here is the best part – once you complete the introductory class you can join our online debate team that travels to debate competitions throughout the United States!
In the introductory course, we teach students the following skills:
- Organizing and Structuring Arguments
- Backing Arguments with Evidence
- Taking Notes in a Debate
- Planning a Winning Debate Case
- Attacking Reasoning Flaws in Opponent’s Cases
- Critical Thinking
- Cross Examining Opponents
All along students are speaking and debating other students in the class. The class ends with a final debate for parents to watch online.
The Benefits of Live Online Interactive Debate Training
Learning has changed over the years and we have consistently found that we can better teach students online. We tried live training classes in every city. Here is what we learned. First, we were limited by the local talent in the area. Second, we were limited by the technology in the schools. We typically had no internet coverage and/or lacked projectors to use in our lesson plans. Finally, finding a location in a city that can accommodate all students at once was impossible. So we tried live interactive debate training for preparing our students across the nation for middle school nationals. Here is what we discovered:
- Students Loved It – the students were in their element navigating through their computer at home. Whether it is researching a new case or collaboratively writing a case, students had instant access to information.
- We Can Accomplish So Much More With the Students – we can have the students research their cases online, we can have the students share their screens with other students so that we can collaboratively develop our strategies, and we can easily work on the same case at the same time together via Google Documents.
- Parents Love It – no more commuting to another activity for their kids. No more sitting in traffic. No more lost time on getting the kids ready for school the next day.
- Allows us to Bring a Wider Variety of Experts to the Classroom – we are no longer limited by the local talent in the area. Instead, classes can be taught by leading debate coaches from any city in the United States!
- The Proof is in the Pudding – we have successfully trained 40 students from Taiwan to debate at the Middle School Nationals and we successfully trained several students into the top ten speakers in the nation at Middle School Nationals and we never met them until they arrived!
All students enrolled in the program MUST have a laptop computer, high-speed internet, functioning webcam, functioning microphone, headphones with built-in microphone. These items are MANDATORY and are necessary to ensure that the online meetings are high-quality and effective.
Interactive Online Classes
With a solid internet connection and a good webcam, we can give our students an unprecedented ability to interact with one another no matter where they are located. We allow students to learn from the comfort of their Living Rooms while receiving instruction from some of the best debate teachers in the country.
Click the thumbnail below to see an example of an actual high school class from the Fall 2013 semester
Courses will be offered for Spring 2017 on Monday or Wednesday evenings. All sessions are limited to a MAXIMUM of 12 students. Once the 12 slots are filled, a waiting-list will be available for interested debaters. If an additional 8 debaters register for the waiting-list, another session will be added AT THE SAME TIME as the session that was already filled up. This is necessary to ensure that the students will have the ideal student to faculty ratio and guarantee that enough students are available in the class to run practice debates. Students MUST login to sessions 10 minutes prior to the scheduled start of class to ensure webcams and microphones are in working order and resolve any technical issues that might be encountered.
How Do I Get Involved?
Joining is easy. Simply register online by clicking the Register Now buttons located throughout our website. The cost is $995 per semester. Your will receive training, materials, and all the evidence you need in your debates. No experience is required.
**Cancellation Policy: All payments are nonrefundable. Should cancellation be necessary, a Capitol Debate account credit for the tuition will be provided for use up to 1 year from the final date of the program originally purchased. All requests for cancellation must be made in writing and be sent electronically to email@example.com. Any request for cancellation must be made prior to the closing date for registration for your program. Cancellations made after the program begins will receive no credit.
For more information about Capitol Debate’s policies and terms and conditions of registration, please see our Terms, Conditions, and Policies page.